Sunday, July 19, 2009

Felix Dies Natalis Tibi, Sacharia (July 10, 2009)

Fantastic photos of Zach shot by Scott Lunt (www.pixelshot.com)
Bite into a big blue forbidden birthday fruit plucked
from the Year-tree. Cannot believe it's been a whole year.
Dad says, "I remember the very instant you came,
watched you emerge into the world. Oh the rush of joy
that surged through me at that moment. Felt it all over my spirit.
I will never forget. The same joy I felt the day I married your mom.
Beside myself with joy."

Uh-oh! You've got that look in your eye! Here you come,
Michael Jordan tongue a-waggin'. Mom: "Gregariousness!
Strong-will! Fun-souled! He has made me lighten up!
I feel his love when tugs at my pant leg, reaches his arms up, laughs,
smiles, puts his head on my shoulder, picks his head back up,
smiles, puts his head back down . . ."

Dad: "You've got your Mom's brown eyes.
Brown-eyes don't usually pierce. Yours do.
As do hers. You've got an old soul,"
Mom: "He's got wisdom beyond his years . . .
looks like he's been here before,
the way he goes about things." He'll stare his way
into your innards until you interact!

A philosopher in the making?
Mom: "What goes on in that baby-brain of his, I'll never know!"
A pensive sifting of reality, I'd wager. Contemplation of a bird,
a dog, a never-before-met face.

Mom and Dad are always jealous on your behalf.
You were jealous for the first time.
You saw mom holding another baby and burst
into the realm of tears like a magician.
Your always sawing Dad in two. Always cuttin' him to the heart.

In addition to manifold friends, Grandma and Grandpa Bowen
were on the scene from UT. Despite the fact that you've only had one
thus far, how could this not have been the greatest birthday of all time?
Dad: "I've had 35 so far and this one was the best!"

The days go fast. They never come again.
Got to savor each moment like cool, clear drops
in a thirsty desert. Got to hold on to each moment tight
and hold on to the ones inside the moments even tighter!

10 comments:

Rachelle said...

Those are some really great pictures! I am so glad that Mom and Dad got to be out there with you guys for the big days. Love you all!

Jennifer said...

He is so beautiful!! Can't get over how good-looking that kid is! What lucky parents and what a lucky boy to have such parents. We miss you guys. Can't wait to see you all again.

Matt Bowen said...

Thanks, Chelle. Our friend Scott took these pictures. He did a great job. We were really blessed to have Mom and Dad out here. It was awesome time and it went way too fast. Love to you, John, and the kids!

Matt Bowen said...

Thanks, Jennifer. You and Justin also have a very beautiful son on your hands! Phineas is already one handsome bloke. We can't wait to see him, you, and Justin as soon as that may be.

CaradonandtheBoys! said...

I can't believe it's been a year already!! You guys need to move out here so our boys can play together. I think they'd be such good friends!! Lots of love!

Elizabeth said...

Such a handsome little guy!! I'm so happy for you and Suzy. Baby boys are the best! (oops...don't tell my girls....;) )

Matt and Suzy Bowen said...

Thanks, Caradon! It would be nice to be closer to you guys. Zach would definitely have lots of fun playing with Chasey, Izzy, and Bridger. One of these days maybe. Love to you, Brad, and Chase.

Matt and Suzy Bowen said...

Thanks, Elizabeth. We've been really blessed. Zach is a really happy boy, and he's been very healthy so far in spite of his dramatic entrance into the world. He's got a lot of energy too, almost too much. Baby boys or baby girls--it's a win-win either way. There are few dilemmas in life that are that good.

Melissa said...

He's so sweet, and so BIG!!! What a perfect little face, I'm dying to see him! We have GOT to get our two boys together for some serious playtime! Matt, I love the way you write, I think it's so great you're capturing so much of little Zach and what he's like in your writings. I canNOT believe it's been a year already...man, we'll be hitting our 80s before we know it. Happy belated birthday to the man of the hour! And to his parents...let's schedule dinner! Soon!

Matt Bowen said...

Thanks, Melissa. We really appreciate it! We want to get together with you guys too. Van and Zach will have a total blast partying it up together. (Thanks for the words of encouragement on the writing front too--I've tried to be evocative without being too mawkish or sentimental. But it's hard not to wax gooey when writing about one's wife and child. Suzy's imput on the poetry always helps.)

The last year really has gone fast as I'm sure it has for you and Jon as well. The photos of you, Jon, and Van and your family activities are always phenomenal. I'll call Jon ASAP and see what we can set up!